For fall, I’m swapping out my regular breakfast smoothies for pumpkin pie! This is a decadent-tasting but completely guilt-free recipe that will let you eat dessert for breakfast and provide a healthy dose of fiber at the same time. Also a perfect trick to have up your sleeve to use up any leftover pumpkin puree and satisfy that pumpkin spice craving whilst keeping the calorie intake under control 😛
This makes a great base for mixing and matching with your favorite smoothie bowl toppings. In these photos, I stayed with the pumpkin theme – maple yoghurt, pumpkin seeds, with some pumpkin spice Special K and the last of this week’s Pumpkin Loaf just for fun.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2/3 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 small banana
- 1 1/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk or skim milk (coconut milk has too strong a flavor)
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- your choice of toppings to serve (e.g. yoghurt, chopped pecans, pumpkin seeds, granola)
- Place all smoothie ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between two glasses/jars and refrigerate overnight.
- Pull out the glasses/jars in the morning and add your toppings to serve.